Prototype Tests Place RADIALcvt Efficiency Ahead of Existing CVT’s
RADIALcvt test setup
The RADIALcvt is Varibox’s newest CVT gearbox innovation, a multi parallel path CVT with only one steel on steel friction drive interface in each path. Its first prototype was put to the test over the last period. The RADIALcvt prototype passed its first tests with flying colours and results indicate that the innovation is already as efficient as current production CVT’s. The RADIALcvt is applicable in conventional, hybrid and electric vehicles as well as many other industrial and out door power equipment applications.
Varibox CVT Technologies, based in Johannesburg, South Africa invent, patent and license new high efficiency CVT technologies, and prove the application of their inventions through tested prototypes. The prototype tests were conducted independently by the Engineering department of a leading South African university.
Advantages over existing CVT’s
The first prototype testing for the RADIALcvt was done on October 3, 2017 with the following parameters and results:
- 50 N.m input load was applied and tests were done at 1500, 2000 and 3000 input rpm, while 10 test points through the ratio range were recorded.
- The traction fluid used was Santotrac 50 and a constant clamping force of 20400 N was applied.
- The tests proved that all the drivers run at the same diameter and that the ratio shifting mechanism is functioning properly.
- The efficiency results are very encouraging, since it is in line with current production and developmental CVT’s which have been in development for many years, and is achieved by the first tests on the first RADIALcvt prototype.
- The high RADIALcvt efficiency is made possible by its unique configuration which result in fundamental advantages over existing CVT’s.
- Based on the RADIALcvt simulations a lot of efficiency improvement can still be unlocked in future prototypes.
Varibox hold a world-wide patent for the RADIALcvt (WO 2017/143363) from the European Patent Office. The patent was granted following the receipt of a clean PCT search report from the US PCT office in February 2017 which approved all 12 claims for the RADIALcvt without any modifications.
Read the full test results in chapter 8 of this document.
For further details about the RADIALcvt please send us an email or visit the RADIALcvt page.